Another week, another slew of NFL games that deserve commentary for stuff on and off the field….Let’s dive right in, shall we?
- Saints decided to run a fake punt with Thomas Morstead down 14 while on the comeback trail….
New Orleans was getting their butts handed to them by the Dallas Cowboys, of all teams…So I can’t say I understand stalling the comeback attempt by calling a fake punt that as obvious as grey hair on Rob Ryan’s head. You want to make a comeback? You put the ball in Drew Brees’ hand, put Jimmy Graham, Brandin Cooks and Marques Colston out on pass routes, have Pierre Thomas in to block and you make it work, no matter the down or the distance….Let me find out Sean Payton’s out here making 2011 Jason Garrett type decisions on the sidelines…Is the world still on it’s axis?
- Please help me understand how Michael Vick makes the Jets better? I understand Vick at his best is a wonderful memory, but that man is not currently employed by the New York football Jets. The man who is currently employed by the Jets is an injury-prone mobile QB with a pretty thrown ball, spotty accuracy and hamstrings made out of Twizzlers. He might make the highlights look good after losses but how will his insertion into the lineup lead to wins? Have you seen their upcoming schedule? @SD, home to DEN, @ NE, home vs BUF, @ KC and home vs PIT before a bye…If one incorporates this past week’s results, the Charger, Bronco and Chief games are clear losses. Clear. New England is a toss up. Pittsburgh looks to have too much firepower on offense to lose and who knows how Buffalo responds to Kyle Orton?…Stop the madness. Let Geno work through the growing pains of being a 2nd year QB. But people need to start questioning some other things in regard to the Jets. Woody Johnson sitting on 21.2 million bucks when some money could’ve been used on some skill players? Could Marty Morninhweg be @ fault, considering no QB has blossomed under his tutelage? Rex Ryan has developed how many offensive stars via the draft? ZERO?
- Pittsburgh losing to the Buccaneers? Tomlin definitely got caught in a letdown game. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Tomlin didn’t respect the potential effort of the team coming into Pittsburgh to play his Steelers. The offense, for the most part, showed up on the stat sheet but the defense is still too spotty to be trusted at this point in the season. ..One of my pet peeves with NFL teams is playing super conservative when up late in a game and Pittsburgh did this on Sunday. When up by any amount of points and you need a 1st down to ice the game, PASSING IS AN OPTION! What a novel concept! I understand being close to your own goal line, the potential disaster of a pick in that situation but there are dozens of high percentage pass plays that you can call that can get you small chunks of yardage. 3 straight runs and a punt do not a drive make! ESPECIALLY when the Tampa Bay defense KNOWS that’s what you’re doing! Switch it up people! Running right into the backs of your offensive line to burn clock and play safe cost you, Pittsburgh, and this might be that loss that keeps you out of playoff contention!
- Steve Smith was more lucky than good vs his old team…actually MOSTLY luck. Let’s not get out of control and think Steve really worked his former employers over like Jerry Rice or something. A tipped ball that wasn’t even aimed in his direction and a backpedaled parabola to the back of the end zone does not spell S-K-I-L-L to me. I’ll commend Steve for his ability to translate will and determination into production on the field but that’s about where it stops. Carolina didn’t have anything for the Ravens in the backfield, Cam included, so Steve need not puff up his chest TOO much…but the quotes are too much, though…LOL
- Kirk Cousins was a hot mess last Thursday. He looked good with a clean pocket but was clearly rattled after Niles Paul got his eggs scrambled on a helmet to helmet hit down the seam in the 3rd quarter. He’s a backup QB. Nothing more needs to be said about that. The media spent two weeks building this guy up and trying their hardest to get RGIII out of town but sometimes the best defense to the haters is to not even play. Cousins reminded many of Rex Grossman and that’s not who you want to remind ANYONE of. ANYONE.
- The Patriots whipping @ the hands of Wally the Walrus and those pesky Kansas City Chiefs is more an indictment on the “Patriot Way” than Tom Brady falling off of a cliff, talent wise. Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick got cocky in believing that Tom would see them through regardless of personnel and he can’t do it that way consistently anymore. At his worst, you get a game like Monday night, where no one looks open, the line is leaking like a cracked coffee mug and it all looks like a dumpster fire the closer you look at it…..But Bill and Bob needs to be held accountable for their consistent draft day misses and their inability to groom offensive talent as well spend money for anybody over the age of 30 @ the WR position. Randy Moss leaving didn’t help. Letting Welker go didn’t help. Letting Brandon Lloyd go didn’t help. Trading Mankins didn’t help. Hernandez was an unfortunate situation but there’s got to be more bullets in the chamber after he got let go. Chad Johnson was a dice roll that didn’t pan out. Relying on a hobbled Gronkowski and super scrappy Julian Edelman isn’t gonna cut it against top talent. It might get New England through the AFC East because…its the AFC Least…but if Denver, San Diego or Kansas City come to town again….it’s goodnight Irene. And I don’t even KNOW an Irene….So somethings have to change in New England going forward…Maybe the offensive co-ordinator has to tweak some things on his end but a lot of change has to come from GM Belichick…He can’t rely on smoke, mirrors, mystique and videotape to get wins anymore. You need talent.
- Hussain Abdullah’s penalty for this:
was unnecessary but I understood why the refs through the flag…they saw the slide and chucked that yellow but once Abdullah’s helmet hit the turf…they knew they done effed up now (like Bill Duke said.)
- Antonio, what is this dance and why can I not stop laughing at it on repeat? https://vine.co/v/OZUODa1HZX3
- Last but not least, I didn’t put a commentary up last week because of browser crashes and a few other unfortunate events but you know I couldn’t let this slide even if I wanted to…This stands up a week later…
CAM NEWTON, WTF IS YOU WEARING?
And on that fashion faux-pas, I’m like Amber Rose and Wiz Khalifa’s marriage…done here
Week 1 is in the books and a few things have gone down since my last commentary. Let me load up a clip and shoot these bullets!
- Josh Gordon is now selling cars in Ohio….Sarchione Auto group in Randolph, Ohio…Not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, I’m happy he’s doing something productive with his days as well as doing some community service work for the dealership, which definitely earns him some “brownie points” with whoever needs them…but I also feel this Auto Group is profiting from the spectacle as best they can, which mkaes me a little sad.
- Michael Sam made the Cowboys practice squad…Congrats to him on getting onto a team, period. I had my doubts he’d get added but Dallas definitely needs what he provides and I’m certain that he’ll be on the field @ some point this season due to the wear and tear of the season…
I’m glad he was able to get there on his own two…his own merits…wait…are you telling me NFL officials intervened? That they didn’t let this happen naturally and gently prodded this process along from the comfort of their air conditioned offices and desks and power strips?
This season continues to be a PR nightmare for the NFL.
- I heard a wild rumor that Carolina’s insistence on keeping Cam Newton’s supporting cast as underwhelming as possible is a ploy to keep his costs down when free agency rolls around (since stats play such a large role in how much one gets paid) …I think that’s a bit of a stretch (and most likely speculation) but it’s not out of the realm of possibility. I think Carolina’s sins of overpaying DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart (in regard to their salary cap) and shelling out top dollar to keep their defense relevant led to the loss of top flight talent for Cam Newton to throw to. But if the Panthers low ball Cam in the coming months when negotiations take place, the rumor turned out to be truth…
- Trent Richardson – the rise and supreme fall….I’m not saying he was ever supreme talent to begin with. But can someone explain to me how the Trent Richardson from Alabama is currently the Trent Richardson on the Colts? Is it that he performs better with elite blocking talent in front of him? Did he really love Cleveland that much that he’s been depressed ever since getting traded? Is it mental? I’d really like to know because of reasons….
- Champ Bailey is out of work. I do not expect that to be the case for too much longer.
- Former Steelers CB DeShea Townsend really needs to work on background checks for the people he rents his properties to…I can’t even recap the tomfoolery well enough to cover all the angles. Linkage here and here .
- Considering the way the San Francisco 49ers came out and played on Sunday afternoon, I’d like to believe those reports of Harbaugh losing the locker room were a bit overblown.
- Antonio Brown’s flying kick to Spencer Lanning, the Cleveland Browns punter’s head was wild.. As funny as it was upon first viewing (and all subsequent viewings TBH), I’m still expecting Antonio to get a decent sized fine and a possible suspension. Keyword: POSSIBLE. That can’t fly in the NFL because that would set one hell of a bad precedent, especially with the league trying to show how safe football is to the younger generations. Spencer Lanning should be grateful punters get helmets.
- Watching Tony Romo vs SF and Eli Manning vs. DET was like watching The Hangover II on DVD on repeat. Very unpleasant and the same old story in new surroundings.
- So you’re telling me that Jerry Jones is being sued and possibly extorted by a possible escort/confirmed former exotic dancer for a wild night back in 2009 that involved fellatio, plenty of inappropriate sexual touching on Jerry’s part, and some interesting photographs?
HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (this can only get worse before it gets better…)
- Andrew Luck may have the swag of Amish barnbuilder but the man can play some football.
- Josh Gordon and Wes Welker might be back on the field if they overhaul the drug program but what new problems may arise now that they’re checking for HGH? A lot of other dudes might definitely be getting the boot….Peyton, I know you got some HGH residue in your spinal column RIGHT NOW!!!! That’s why you broke that record last season…Explains SO MUCH!!!
- Another interesting thing that may only interest me is….why are people so quick to overhaul the drug policy now that Wes Welker got popped for MDMA? When Josh Gordon got busted, it was more like “Aw, let the kid rot!!”…once Wes Welker caught that L, now we’re in meetings and writing notes on legal pads and voting on ish?
- Ray Rice gets his own post. A quick bullet doesn’t even begin to talk about that situation..
And I’m all through for Week 1. See you in roughly seven days!
Tell ’em how you REALLY feel, Snakepit!