Another week, another slew of NFL games that deserve commentary for stuff on and off the field….Let’s dive right in, shall we?
- Saints decided to run a fake punt with Thomas Morstead down 14 while on the comeback trail….
New Orleans was getting their butts handed to them by the Dallas Cowboys, of all teams…So I can’t say I understand stalling the comeback attempt by calling a fake punt that as obvious as grey hair on Rob Ryan’s head. You want to make a comeback? You put the ball in Drew Brees’ hand, put Jimmy Graham, Brandin Cooks and Marques Colston out on pass routes, have Pierre Thomas in to block and you make it work, no matter the down or the distance….Let me find out Sean Payton’s out here making 2011 Jason Garrett type decisions on the sidelines…Is the world still on it’s axis?
- Please help me understand how Michael Vick makes the Jets better? I understand Vick at his best is a wonderful memory, but that man is not currently employed by the New York football Jets. The man who is currently employed by the Jets is an injury-prone mobile QB with a pretty thrown ball, spotty accuracy and hamstrings made out of Twizzlers. He might make the highlights look good after losses but how will his insertion into the lineup lead to wins? Have you seen their upcoming schedule? @SD, home to DEN, @ NE, home vs BUF, @ KC and home vs PIT before a bye…If one incorporates this past week’s results, the Charger, Bronco and Chief games are clear losses. Clear. New England is a toss up. Pittsburgh looks to have too much firepower on offense to lose and who knows how Buffalo responds to Kyle Orton?…Stop the madness. Let Geno work through the growing pains of being a 2nd year QB. But people need to start questioning some other things in regard to the Jets. Woody Johnson sitting on 21.2 million bucks when some money could’ve been used on some skill players? Could Marty Morninhweg be @ fault, considering no QB has blossomed under his tutelage? Rex Ryan has developed how many offensive stars via the draft? ZERO?
- Pittsburgh losing to the Buccaneers? Tomlin definitely got caught in a letdown game. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Tomlin didn’t respect the potential effort of the team coming into Pittsburgh to play his Steelers. The offense, for the most part, showed up on the stat sheet but the defense is still too spotty to be trusted at this point in the season. ..One of my pet peeves with NFL teams is playing super conservative when up late in a game and Pittsburgh did this on Sunday. When up by any amount of points and you need a 1st down to ice the game, PASSING IS AN OPTION! What a novel concept! I understand being close to your own goal line, the potential disaster of a pick in that situation but there are dozens of high percentage pass plays that you can call that can get you small chunks of yardage. 3 straight runs and a punt do not a drive make! ESPECIALLY when the Tampa Bay defense KNOWS that’s what you’re doing! Switch it up people! Running right into the backs of your offensive line to burn clock and play safe cost you, Pittsburgh, and this might be that loss that keeps you out of playoff contention!
- Steve Smith was more lucky than good vs his old team…actually MOSTLY luck. Let’s not get out of control and think Steve really worked his former employers over like Jerry Rice or something. A tipped ball that wasn’t even aimed in his direction and a backpedaled parabola to the back of the end zone does not spell S-K-I-L-L to me. I’ll commend Steve for his ability to translate will and determination into production on the field but that’s about where it stops. Carolina didn’t have anything for the Ravens in the backfield, Cam included, so Steve need not puff up his chest TOO much…but the quotes are too much, though…LOL
- Kirk Cousins was a hot mess last Thursday. He looked good with a clean pocket but was clearly rattled after Niles Paul got his eggs scrambled on a helmet to helmet hit down the seam in the 3rd quarter. He’s a backup QB. Nothing more needs to be said about that. The media spent two weeks building this guy up and trying their hardest to get RGIII out of town but sometimes the best defense to the haters is to not even play. Cousins reminded many of Rex Grossman and that’s not who you want to remind ANYONE of. ANYONE.
- The Patriots whipping @ the hands of Wally the Walrus and those pesky Kansas City Chiefs is more an indictment on the “Patriot Way” than Tom Brady falling off of a cliff, talent wise. Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick got cocky in believing that Tom would see them through regardless of personnel and he can’t do it that way consistently anymore. At his worst, you get a game like Monday night, where no one looks open, the line is leaking like a cracked coffee mug and it all looks like a dumpster fire the closer you look at it…..But Bill and Bob needs to be held accountable for their consistent draft day misses and their inability to groom offensive talent as well spend money for anybody over the age of 30 @ the WR position. Randy Moss leaving didn’t help. Letting Welker go didn’t help. Letting Brandon Lloyd go didn’t help. Trading Mankins didn’t help. Hernandez was an unfortunate situation but there’s got to be more bullets in the chamber after he got let go. Chad Johnson was a dice roll that didn’t pan out. Relying on a hobbled Gronkowski and super scrappy Julian Edelman isn’t gonna cut it against top talent. It might get New England through the AFC East because…its the AFC Least…but if Denver, San Diego or Kansas City come to town again….it’s goodnight Irene. And I don’t even KNOW an Irene….So somethings have to change in New England going forward…Maybe the offensive co-ordinator has to tweak some things on his end but a lot of change has to come from GM Belichick…He can’t rely on smoke, mirrors, mystique and videotape to get wins anymore. You need talent.
- Hussain Abdullah’s penalty for this:
was unnecessary but I understood why the refs through the flag…they saw the slide and chucked that yellow but once Abdullah’s helmet hit the turf…they knew they done effed up now (like Bill Duke said.)
- Antonio, what is this dance and why can I not stop laughing at it on repeat? https://vine.co/v/OZUODa1HZX3
- Last but not least, I didn’t put a commentary up last week because of browser crashes and a few other unfortunate events but you know I couldn’t let this slide even if I wanted to…This stands up a week later…
CAM NEWTON, WTF IS YOU WEARING?
And on that fashion faux-pas, I’m like Amber Rose and Wiz Khalifa’s marriage…done here